These were our events for Earth Month 2014.
Friday, March 28th
Climate Palooza w/ Visions and Voices and GSG
Annenberg School of Communication, 3-8:30pm
- USC and NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory will come together to present a vibrant multimedia festival that will offer a variety of fun and dynamic opportunities to learn about the latest science defining climate change—and what we can do about this complex and crucial issue.
- RSVP Here
Tuesday, April 1st
Recycl’Art for Art Appreciation Week w/ PAC
Alumni Park, 12-1pm
Earth Month Kickoff Concert ft. Sneaky Gypsies, Goodkids, and Angeles Flight
Ground Zero Performance Cafe, 7:30-9pm
- Free milkshakes for the first 100 people!
Wednesday, April 2nd
Carnival on the Quad w/ ESA’s Member Organizations
McCarthy Quad, 11-2pm
California Roundtable Discussion w/ PSA
MPH 102, 7-8:30pm
Saturday, April 5th
McCarthy Quad, 12-8pm
- There will be a Human Hamster wheel, a see-saw, and bikes to power Springfest. All participants receive a reusable cup to redeem a free drink!
Sunday, April 6th
Meet at TroGo at 9am, Return to TroGo at 4pm
- BYOB! (Bring your own bike!)
Monday, April 7th
Bidder 70 w/ ACA
THH 102, 7-9pm
- Movie Monday! ESA will be screening an Earth-friendly documentary, Bidder 70, about a man who disrupts an oil and gas bidding auction to protect 22,000 acres of pristine land. Come watch this amazing documentary about civil disobedience and environmental awareness.
- Free food from Azla Vegan!
Wednesday, April 9th
Blackfish w/ USC Scientific Dive Team
TCC 227, 5-6:30pm
- Come join ESA and one of our member organizations, the USC Scientific Dive Team, as we screen the documentary Blackfish, a film that focuses on the captivity of Tilikum, an orca currently living in captivity at SeaWord Orlando that was involved in the deaths of three individuals, and the consequences of keeping killer whales in captivity. Join us for this mesmerizing, psychological thriller!
Tommy’s Green Trivia
Tommy’s Place, 7-9pm
- Tommy’s Trivia is taking a “green” spin, incorporating environmental questions and eco-friendly prizes! Come on down to Tommy’s Place to assess your knowledge of the Earth and win some awesome ESA solar panel cell phone chargers in celebration of Earth Month! The only requirement to enter is for each team member to like “USC Environmental Student Assembly” on Facebook.
Thursday, April 10th
DIY: Green Edition w/ SEC
Parkside Performance Café / MPR, 4-7pm
- Want to learn how to make something totally new and cool? Come join Special Events Committee and ESA, and you can make awesome crafts with us, including:Terraniums! – http://tinyurl.com/terrraniumm
Tie-dye Candles! – http://tinyurl.com/tiedye-candles
Chalkboard Mason Jars! – http://tinyurl.com/chalk-mason
Floppy Disk Planters! – http://tinyurl.com/floppy-planters
Herb Garden Mason Jars! – http://tinyurl.com/spice-mason
SC Outfitters will also be making paracord bracelets.
Paracord Friendship Bracelets! – http://tinyurl.com/friend-cord
- Free food from Urth Caffe and Boba 7!
Friday, April 11th
Get Dirty with ESA: Irrigation System Workshop
USC Urban Garden (3015 Shrine Place), 12-1pm
- Want to enjoy the sunshine while staying active? This is the first of three “Get Dirty with ESA” gardening series during ESA’s Earth Month. This educational workshop will offer you a chance to learn about irrigation systems and why they are important for saving water in urban gardens.
Tuesday, April 15th
Promised Land Screening w/ EAO
THH 201, 7-10pm
- Movie Night with ESA and Environmental Affairs Organization, a member org! We will be watching “Promised Land,” which focuses on the experiences of a salesman (Matt Damon) for a natural gas company. John Krasinski co-wrote and stars in the film.
- Free popcorn from our local S&S Kettle Corn!
Friday, April 18th
Trip to the Science Center Aquarium w/ USC Scientific Dive Team
Meet outside Mud Hall at 1:50pm, Trip from 2-3:30pm
- Join ESA and one of our member organizations, the ENST Scientific Dive Team, for a trip to the Aquarium at the California Science Center. Learn about marine life and watch one of the club divers swim in the aquarium tanks!
Saturday, April 19th
Get Dirty with ESA: Composting Workshop
USC Urban Garden (3015 Shrine Place), 12-1pm
- Want to enjoy the sunshine while staying active? Come ‘Get Dirty’ with ESA by learning all about how to compost! This is the second of three gardening series during ESA’s Earth Month. This educational workshop will offer students a chance to learn how to compost, and why composting is important to soil and your trash bins.
Monday, April 21st
USC Earth Day Eco-Tour
Meet at Moreton Fig at 11:45am, Tour from 12-1pm
- Have you ever heard of the green building certification program, Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED)? Did you know that buildings such as the Ronald Tutor Campus Center are LEED certified? Or that USC owns and operates two food pulpers at EVK and Parkside that turn food waste into fertilizer? Have you been to our Urban Garden yet? If you answered “no” to any of these questions, then the Earth Day Eco-Tour is for you! The Office of Sustainability and ESA will be taking students on the USC Eco-Tour, highlighting the different spots on campus that show how USC is trying to be eco-friendly and sustainable.
Tuesday, April 22nd
USC Environmental Fair w/ the USC Staff Assembly
Trousdale Parkway, 11am-1:30pm
Earth Day Keynote Speaker w/ USC Speakers Committee
Bovard, Apr 22nd, 8-10pm
- Featuring Ian Somerhalder, Actor and Environmentalist!
Wednesday, April 23rd
ESA at the Farmer’s Market
McCarthy Quad, 11-2pm
- ESA takes over the Farmer’s Market one more time! Swing by to learn about the remainder of our fun Earth Month activities, get some eco-friendly swag, and like our Facebook page to get some Nektar discount vouchers.
- Have anything your trying to get rid of but don’t want to throw out? Come find ESA and EAO and bring your old clothes and re-usable items to UP-CYCLE for other students to use! Stay tuned for our Earth Month finale: Trojan Community Exchange on April 30th! We will have a clothing/item exchange using all of the clothes collected at the Farmers Market.
Vegan Cookoff with Tzu Ching Trojans
MRF Lobby, 7-8pm
- Come learn how to make quick and easy vegetarian food! We will be using delicious pre-packaged instant rice to make tasty meals! We will also have a variety of other vegetarian food to enjoy, so don’t miss out! Be sure to bring your own utensils and a bowl with a lid. This is essential in preparing instant rice.
USConserve: Sustain Your Future, Grow Your Career — A Panel on Sustainable Initiatives
THH 301, 7:30-10pm
- ESA teams up with Greeks Go Green, a member organization, and the Greek Row to bring CEOs, Founders, and non-profit representatives of reputable and sustainable companies. There will be speakers from Global Green USA, Sustainable Microfarms, Fuel Freedom Foundation, Organix, and more!! They will each give a short 15 minute presentation. At the end, we’ll open up the floor to Q&A and a reception afterwards.
- Free food, including brownies!
Thursday, April 24th
USC Environment Fair at the Health Sciences Campus w/ the USC Staff Assembly
Pappas Quad, 11-1:30pm
Get Dirty with ESA: Tree Planting 101 w/ A Community Place
St. Marks Lutheran Church – 3651 S Vermont, 3-4pm with Sandwich making at 5pm
- Come join one of our member organizations, A Community Place, for the third “Get Dirty with ESA” educational gardening workshops during Earth Month. We will offer students a chance to learn the basics on how to plant trees.
- Stay after the event for free dinner!
Saturday, April 26th
Beach Cleanup w/ GSG
Meet at TCC 224, Event from 9am-1pm
- Come enjoy the beach, get tan, and help out the community! Join the Graduate Student Government and ESA in cleaning up the beautiful Santa Monica beach.
- Transportation and lunch will be provided to all volunteers!
Monday, April 28th
Yoga in the Park
Alumni Park, 12-1pm
- ESA is hosting a yoga session in Alumni Park, where students will be able to practice yoga and relaxation. Let’s promote healthy lifestyles on campus!
- Prana giveaways!
El Gigante Screening w/ LSA
SOS B46, 7-8:30pm
- The construction of a hydroelectric power plant threatens the valley of the Magdalena River, its flora, fauna, people and their way of living. A group of peasants and fishermen, who have grown up under the shadow of “El Gigante” (the giant), struggles against the multinational companies Enel, Endesa and Impregilo. Come join ESA and LSA as we learn about El Gigante. Discussion will be led by USC Graduate student and LA-Based artist, Carolina Caycedo, and her advisor and Associate Professor of American Studies and Ethnicity, Dr. Macarena Gomez-Barris.
Wednesday, April 30th
Trojan Community Exchange: Free Store w/ BSA, EAO and Trojan Pride
Alumni Park, 12-3pm
- Come join ESA, BSA, and Trojan Pride at the Trojan Community Exchange! It will be an exchange of Trojan gear, a social exchange, and an exchange of ideas for next year’s Earth Month! Donate the clothes you no longer wear and pick up some new outfits! It will be a great way to get some new clothes, meet some new friends, grab some lunch from Farmers Belly, and end Earth Month right by getting your FREE pot and soil to plant your seed paper Earth Month flyers!
Friday, May 2nd
Sustainability Research Symposium
Davidson Conference Center, 9am-12pm